Top Stories Your School Conferences The The Big Game The Hit List Best of the Week Scores Playoff Central Just 4 Coaches Just 4 Athletes Past Players Message Boards Contact Us

 

 

 

 

2004 2A Finals Preview

 

Friday Nov 25th

Aledo (12-1) vs. Dakota (13-0) 1 pm

2A Playoff Bracket

 

Aledo:
The Green Dragons are back!

After winning back-to-back titles in 2001 & 2002 the Dragons were able to get out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in the last 3 years and they went all the way to the finals.

The Dragons are doing it playing good fundamental football, running the ball about 65% of the time & passing the other 35%. Justin Allen has been leading the way for the Dragons on the ground. The 5'10 175 lb junior has racked up almost 1,500 of the 2,772 yard Aledo has had rushing.

Aledo's Justin Allen has racked up 1,496 yards so far this season.

With big blocks coming from Bryce Schroeder (LT 6'1 250 sr.), Cody Brown (LG 6'1 255 sr.) & center John Boswell (5'9 235 jr.) the left side of the offensive line might just become a well traveled side for tailback Allen.

Adam Hines (QB 6'3 170 jr.) has connected on 62% of his passes and will be looking to tack on more to the 2,176 yards he's passed for so far this year. If his line can hold off a Dakota defense, look for him to get close to his per game average of 170 yards, especially if the Dragons are down or playing a close game early on and want to distance themselves from the Indians.


Dakota :
Last year it wasStockton, in 2003 it wasGalena& this year the Northwest Upstate Illini Conference has sent 2 teams to the state finals,Freeport (Aquin)& Dakota.

Dakota is allowing just 73 yards on the ground a game.

The Indians have been relying on the legs Tyler Olsen & Matt Wenger who have rushed for 2,880 yards & 40 TD between the 2 of them.

Dakota has just been rolling over opponents all season & with the exception of a 20-10 quarter-final game againstLena (L.-Winslow), who they beat 44-8 in week 8, no team has played them tough on both sides of the field.

While Wenger, may be the second leading rusher on the team, this 5'8 185 full back could reek havoc with an Aledo defense who has just 2 players weighing in at more than 185. Add to that the fact that Wenger is averaging 7 yards a carry while leading the team in tackles & sacks (his 129 tackles is more than twice that of anyone else on the team) and you could be looking at a difference maker in this game.

While Wenger's solo defensive play is impressive, the Dakota defense as a unit has some staggering numbers as well. In 13 games they've allowed just 2,044 yards of offense. Given the fact that their line averages just 191 pounds, they've still managed to hold opponents to 73 yards rushing a game, an impressive number given the majority of offenses in the lower classes are run based.

by Vincent Johnson

 

 

 

Advertise on IHSFW.com / About IHSFW.com / Legal Stuff / Contact us
All Content copyright 1999-2007